4.10.2008

Cooper's Birth Story

It all started Saturday evening...

I got taken off of bed rest the previous Wednesday and since being off of bed rest my contractions had completely slowed down. By Saturday I was going crazy. I resigned to the fact that I would not be having this baby anytime soon. This had already been my longest pregnancy by 2 days (pathetic, I know!!) Nevertheless, I was so done being pregnant, but I realized that I would probably go full term this time. With that in mind...

Saturday evening we went over to Tim's parents house. Tim went with the guys to the Priesthood Session of General Conference while Payton, Parker & I hung out with the girls. I was so excited just to go hold my new little niece and let the boys play at Grandma's. As soon as the guys left I started having little whimpy contractions. They were nothing like I had been having, but they were really regular. I thought it was a little odd, but they were pretty easy to ignore. After about an hour, I thought that I better time the contractions, just for fun. They were coming 5 min, 6 min, 8 min, 5 min, 5 min, 6 min, 5 min, 4 min, 3 min, 5 min, 3 min, 4 min, 3 min, 4 min, 3 min, 4 min. I couldn't believe it. However, I still did not think it was labor. I was laughing about them. I texted Tim during conference to let him know that they needed to pick up Cafe Rio after they were done and that we probably needed to go to the hospital.

The guys got home and by that point my contractions were all 3-4 minutes apart. Tim ate his dinner and then we headed up to the hospital. Both of us were planning on being sent home. I did not believe that this was labor. I felt great!

Here we are just before leaving Tim's parents house to go to the hospital...


We got to the hospital at 9:00 p.m. and they hooked me up to all the machines. She checked me and said that I was dilated to 4cm. She said they would watch the contractions then call my doctor to see what he wanted to do. We waited for an hour. She came back and checked me again after an hour. I was dilated to 4.5cm and my contractions were very regular. She said that my doctor wanted to admit me. What? I asked her if that meant I was going to have a baby?!? I still couldn't believe that this was actually happening. I still felt amazing.

Tim & I waiting through the long labor process. We are both excited to get this over with and meet our new little guy!



Within about an hour, my contractions started getting painful. About an hour later I requested the epidural. This was the worst part of the entire labor and delivery. YUCK! (Tim almost passed out while watching him give it to me.) After that was done, we spent the night laying around, waiting for my body to do it's thing. I only dilated about a 1/2 cm every hour. They couldn't give me anything to speed it up because I was pre term. It was a long, long night! The babies heart rate kept dropping, I had a fever and they couldn't get in touch with my doctor. I stayed at 6cm for 3 hours. They wanted to break my water, but they had to talk to my doctor before they could. They finally called his home phone and he was sound asleep. I guess his pager wasn't working. He finally gave them the "ok" to break my water and that helped speed things up. After 10 hours of labor (mostly just lying around waiting), Cooper decided that he was immediately ready to enter this world. I felt a little pressure and called the nurse. She came to check me out and said, "Don't cough or sneeze. I'll get the doctor." His head was right there. I literally pushed twice...once for his head and the second for the rest of his body. It was a breeze! He was born at 7:04 a.m.

They put him on me and I couldn't believe it. He was perfect. He looked just like my other boys. It was the most incredible feeling to hold him and see his perfect little body. It's the most amazing, exhilarating, emotional, exciting and intense feeling in the whole world. We felt so blessed and were so grateful to finally be able to meet our new little guy.


12 comments:

Andi said...

Thanks for sharing that story for those of us that could not be there!! He is darling and we can't wait to meet him! We love you all and miss you and hope to see you very soon!

The Mendez Family said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you guys. I loved reading the birth story ... sounded kind of similar to both of mine, since I had such easy deliveries. We're among the lucky few, I guess!

I love the name Cooper! If I remember correctly, that wasn't one of the 2 names you were debating between though. I should look back at your blog, but I thought it was between Sawyer and another "P" name. Anyway - I love it.

CONGRATS and good luck with everything, now that you have 3 little boys!
Amanda

Brianne & Jarod said...

Thanks for the story..I was curious how it all went. 2 PUSHES??? I sure hope that I get to that point some day :) You should be a VERY proud mom because you do have OOBER CUTE boys!! I still can't get over the hair..LOVE IT!!

Laura Jansson said...

Congratulations to you all! I love the name Cooper--it's so cute. It will be so fun to have Emeline and Cooper so close! Hope you all are adjusting well. :)

d.r. gib said...

That is a funny story. I like that you told Tim to get some diner, then you had to go to the hospital. Glad you both are healthy, can't wait to see him in person. I can't believe how much dark hair your kids had a birth.

Alison said...

I am so glad it went well for you! What a great labor/birth! Congrats!

jennie said...

I was just going through Lori Ham's blog friends (is that okay?) and I saw your blog. I don't even know if you remember me, but I was Jennie Peterson in High School and I lived across the street from Tim for a few years. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know how cute I think your family is! What cute boys, and a beautiful new baby to add to it. How do you manage to look perfect in the middle of labor?!?! With all of my kids I've looked like a white whale with black circles under my eyes. You just glow! Anyways, just thought I'd say a random congratulations! It's so fun to see what people from High School are up to. We've all turned out so normal and happy. It's great. If you want to look at my blog, my new one is: www.thelokeybunch.blogspot.com Happy Mothering and congratulations again!
Jennie

natalie said...

Your post is making me a bit baby hungry. I do actually get jealous when I see this cute little dude and I here your experience. You look great and I am glad it all worked out so great for you!!!

Tam said...

That's a great story! Happy to hear Cooper is finally here healthy and beautiful! You look gorgeous too...I would have never guessed you were going in to give birth from your picture. Congrats!

Reeses Pieces said...

What a fun story to read. I love the last picture of Tim. He looks so tired. I think it helps put meaning to your story. Congrats once again!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeff & Brit said...

Congrats! Another beautiful baby boy. I'm so happy for you!