8.16.2007

Breaking News

I am such a sucker for news. I love it! I don't even care what the content is (okay...I don't love weather or sports), but anything else I will watch for hours...especially breaking news...there's nothing better than getting news as it is happening (or so I thought!) Thursday night I wasn't feeling very well and I sat down on the couch to relax for a bit after dinner. As I was flipping stations, the local and national news stations broke in with breaking news. (As we all know now, the breaking news was in regards to another fatal tragedy at the Crandall Canyon Mine.) At first, reporters thought maybe the ambulances were going up the canyon to rescue the trapped miners, but as the night went on they realized this was not the case. My heart goes out to the miners and their families, but even more so because they had to be subjected to this ridiculous coverage all night long. I wasted 4 hours of my life, getting minute to minute speculations about what was going on. I knew that I should just turn off the tv and wait for morning to find out what had actually happened, but I just couldn't turn away. I was more fascinated by the frantic and speculative reporting that was going on. (Dad, you are so glad that you were out of town!!) I am grateful that our local coverage was a MILLION times better than the national coverage...I was soooo disappointed with Fox News & CNN's coverage of this tragedy. They should leave the reporting to the locals because they had no idea what they were reporting! By the time I turned off the television they had confirmed that there was 1 fatality and 8 injured miners. The next morning, we found out that there was 3 fatalities and 6 injured miners. It was devastating! But, what's just as devastating is what happens to reporters, producers and anchors when things like this happen. They turn into to vultures (and so do I).

No comments: