1.06.2011

my writing career






This past September, I got an e-mail from my cousin suggesting that I submit some of my stories that I write on my blog to deseretconnect.com.  I was flattered that my Communications Professor-Published Writer-Very Successful-Cousin had so much confidence in me.  However, I was busy and left the message lingering in my inbox.  Each time I cleaned out my inbox that message haunted me.  It felt like something I should do, but I didn't have the same confidence or drive I did when I was actually pursuing my journalism degree and career.  So I disregarded the message every time it caught my eye.

During the month of December, I set a goal that I would simply get on the website and fill out my profile.  Once I got logged on and made it through the application process, I started playing around with the site and was surprised at how easy it was to pitch a story.  Thinking that nobody would ever respond, I pitched a story and made my deadline the next day.

To my horror, dismay, demise sweet surprise my story was immediately accepted.  As they say, the rest is history.  I threw together a story {based on the title I had pitched}.  Found out it would be published the following Monday in the print edition of the Deseret News and was an overnight success story as shocked as everyone else when they saw my families picture in the paper.

I was so excited that I immediately began writing more.  I loved that I had this new creative outlet where my two lives of journalist and mother could meet in the family section of the Deseret News once a week.

Below are links to the stories I've had published (for those of you asking if I've written anymore).  Also, the pictures featured above were from the first assignment that my editor gave me.  Exciting!  I really felt like a real journalist with my notepad, asking questions at the Church History Museum Press Event.  It was fabulous because I got to bring my family along too.  I'm excited for this opportunity and can't wait to write more.  If any of you are interested in writing, this same opportunity is available to you too.  Go check out the website!

Teaching Children the Joy of Giving, Deseret News, December 13, 2010

My Favorite Christmas Tradition, Mormon Times, December 24, 2010 

Post-Holiday Survival Tips for Parents, Deseret News, December 26, 2010

This Year, Try Slowing Down and Enjoying the Ride, Deseret News, January 2, 2011

Ex-Planner Converts to 'Just Do It', Deseret News, January 2, 2011

5 Things Families Can Expect to Find at the Newest Church History Museum Exhibit, Deseret News, January 23, 2011

 

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Can I just say you are the coolest girl I know!