8.08.2009

provo river trail half marathon

I had a fun weekend playing and running with some of my friends. We decided to turn our race into an overnight adventure. We started our night by eating dinner at Carraba's. We then went to the mall and shopped. After shopping we remembered the reason we were there...RACE PACKETS...we almost forgot to pick them up and barely got to the packet pickup area before they closed. In our race packets were some coupons to Hogi Yogi so we decided that we better use them and eat some more. We went to Hogi Yogi and ate again! After eating, we decided we better check into our hotel and think about getting some sleep, but not before we took lots of ridiculous pictures in our hotel room. It's just something girls have to do.

I don't have much experience with racing, but you don't need much experience to know that this race is seriously disorganized. Our e-mails told us that the race time was 6:00 am. After waking up at 4:20 am and getting to the shuttles, we had to wait until 7:00 am to start the race, which totally threw off our eating, stretching and preparation schedule. In addition to the disorganization, it was FREEZING cold due to record low temperatures. However, once we actually started running, the course was incredible. I loved the downhill course, I loved the cool weather and I loved this race!

I was so happy to break two hours and set my personal record (which isn't hard since this is only my second half marathon). My time was 1:59:25. One of my running partners, Carrie, also did amazing even though she was super sick the whole race. She also beat her time.
Our other running partner, Danielle, came in just after us (because she had to take a COUPLE bathroom breaks). We were so proud of her. This was her first half marathon and she did awesome! Also, it was so fun to have our own personal cheerleader. Courtney was so sweet to drive us around, book a hotel and come to the race in her cheer outfit with a poster and towels for us at the end.
I feel so blessed to have a healthy body so that I can run, great friends to run with and amazing support from friends and family. Can't wait to do it again!

4 comments:

Reeses Pieces said...

I can't believe how many people run now days. It's crazy. I need a little of that motivation sent my way. What a fun way to make close friends too. The Oquirrh is so cute. I obviously haven't seen it in person but I love it. Looks like you guys had fun at the Burbidge's. Maybe one of these days if I ever get back home we'll have to join you. One day.....

Phipps Family said...

Thanks for the fun weekend, and I am excited to hear how well you do this weekend. Wish I was running it with you. You did awesome as always and I you kept me going. Love the picture of my big bum...and where is the picture with Court's toes?

Phipps Family said...

Okay sorry typo, I mean you kept me going.

Lis said...

What a trip! I am so bummed to have not been there! Good luck this weekend! You will kill it!!