6.10.2010

payton's last day of school

Today is Payton's last day of second grade and I'm feeling so nostalgic.  Payton has loved every single bit of second grade.  This past year has been dreamy for both of us.  I have zero complaints and so much gratitude for Payton's second grade experience.  One of my favorite memories of this past school year has been our morning routine.  Every morning Payton would wake up no later {usually no earlier} than 7:30 on the dot.  He'd pick out his own clothes, make his bed, get his back pack and come tell me that he was ready for breakfast.

While I made him pancakes, waffles, eggs, toast or muffins; he'd ask me what the weather was going to be like that day.  I'd tell him that it would be pretty nice or pretty cold, but that wasn't good enough.  He wanted to know the exact temperature and if the forecast called for rain, snow or sun.  Then he would determine if he needed to change his clothes or grab a jacket.  He would eat his breakfast while he pretended not to watch Dora the Explorer.  Then he would notice the clock and jump out of his chair and rush to get his hair done, brush his teeth and then he would inform me if I needed to make him home lunch or not.  {Have I mentioned how much I love this ridiculously responsible boy?}  


After Payton was all ready, he'd start pacing around the house and telling Tim that it was "time to go."  He was always wanting to get to the bus stop at least 10 minutes before the bus arrived.  We would gather in the family room around Cooper, who was watching Dora, and we'd turn the tv off for a moment so we could say our morning prayers together.  We'd discuss who's turn it was, say a prayer and then I would kiss Payton goodbye and tell him to have a good day. 


When Tim was in town he would walk Payton to the bus stop, but if Tim was gone then I got to do it.  I'd leave Parker & Cooper in the family room watching Dora and quickly follow behind Payton.


When I caught up to him and tried to small talk, this is what he would do...ignore me.  Payton didn't want us talking to him or even standing by him.  However, he insisted that we walk him to the school bus every single morning.  And we did.  He never wanted me to walk up to the bus stop after school and meet him, but we never missed a morning.  Love.  That.  Kid. 


Something else I've loved about second grade is Payton's teacher, Ms. Mehler.  She is an incredible teacher.  I can't say enough good things about her.  Payton adored her and so did I.  Do you blame us...  Isn't she darling?  She is just as darling on the inside as she is on the outside.  We've loved her! 


These two silly boys have had the time of their life.  They have been best buddies in class all year long.  In fact, I'm not sure they even knew anyone else existed in their class this year.  These two were inseparable at school.  This is a picture of them taken at the fun "dance festival" they had the last week of school.  Payton dancing was definitely a highlight of second grade for me!  


Seriously though, these two boys have been in the same class since Kindergarten.  All three years of school together; attached at the hip.  {Yes, Chase has always been twice Payton's size.}  However, next year things are changing!  {No, we won't be slipping Payton any of Parker's HGH.}  For the first time, these boys won't be in the same class.


I've loved second grade so much that I just hate to see it end.  I know that Payton is growing up and ready to move onto third grade, but you just hate to see something that is so good come to an end.  I can only hope that third grade will be just as good to this boy as second grade has been!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are on fire girl! Love all your new posts. And I love the new top of your blog...well, maybe it isn't new, but you know how it is with google reader. :).
I love that you gave the little timeline of your morning. I'm sure you will love to look back on that & I loved hearing about it.

Patty said...

Cherish these memories; you are so good to post them all! Payton is such a good boy!

Kevin Bergstrom said...

Paint is the coolest kid I've ever seen. I wish I was his age and could hang out with him at school. I would take him to the hole at every recess - but I know he would foul me and get the ball and put it in the budket like he does now.