9.28.2010

gardner village with grandma





This is one of my favorite October traditions.  If you don't believe me, I have proof here, here and here!  It was my Grandma's birthday today and I wanted to make sure she had an extra special day.  My boys, who were off track, and I picked her up promptly at 10:00 am and headed to Gardner Village.  The weather was perfect.  It felt more like August than September.

Parker was the first to ask, "Grandma, how old are you today?"

"84-years-old!"  She proudly exclaimed and then quickly said, "That's the same age both my parents were when they died."

Alrighty then...I knew we had to make this day special for her.  Especially since she was sure it was her last.  Luckily, Parker has the perfect 5-year-old charm and quickly quipped.  "You're going to live until you are 110-years-old."

"I don't think so."  Grandma laughed.

"Yep,  you are and so am I."  Parker gave "Downer Deb" a healthy dose of some much needed positivity. 

We arrived at the park and met my sister Krista there.  She's without a job right now so she had just rolled out of bed to join us.  She was excited to chase the boys around and help them spot all the witches.  After we saw a few witches we placed our blanket on the grass by the small pond and enjoyed a picnic.  The boys were in a hurry to eat because I told them we could visit the candy shop after lunch. 

Grandma opened her change purse and dished out coins so the boys could buy candy.  As the boys licked their lollipops and ate candy, we walked around discovering endless pumpkins, haystacks, spiders and witches.  It was a perfect day.  If I was positive I was going to die, this is how I would spend my last birthday too!

3 comments:

Reeses Pieces said...

Your grandma looks great, the same as the first time I met her. I love pumpkin/witch time at Gardner Village. It's a great way to start out the season...and then of course to head over to Archibalds for some of their yummy pumpkin dessert.

Daily Jot & Tittle said...

Love the 'stache! Your grandma is so cute!

Patty said...

OK Brit, awesome; thanks for being a great grandaughter! Loved the narration down to the last sentence! What a SPECIAL DAY!